When I was 27 I was so flippant about my life. I think I might have been in Hungary or Romania or somewhere far enough away not to care. Or maybe I wasn't. Maybe I was in Sub-Saharan Africa or Latin America. Maybe in East Asia.
But somewhere else.
The point is that I was never here.
That makes life a lot easier to live. Never being where you are supposed to be makes things a lot easier. Dealing with life in sporadic bursts is more comfortable than dealing with it full-time.
A sickness perhaps?
I certainly have been accused of that before. It wouldn't be the first time.
So tonight I realized that the man I spent over 10 years with married someone else. The man who was as addictive sexually as crack just got married. My best friend from high school has a baby. My college English professor is dead.
How did this all happen?
And then where am I in the world?
Let's see.
I live in Bowie, Maryland with a gay male married couple. One is a former Vatican priest and the other is a rocket scientist who put the Hubble telescope in the stars, no shit. I am in love with a man from a neighborhood I wouldn't ever have considered visiting when I lived in Philadelphia but who has so completely loved me that I cannot imagine someone else doing the same job. I still have my best friends. I still live and breathe every day.
I have felt love and generosity from people who have nothing to give but manage to be generous and loving, all the same.
I cannot wait to dice an onion. I cannot wait to plant another flower. I cannot wait to pet my dog.
I cannot wait to hold my mother, cannot wait to touch my boyfriend's smooth arm, see my best friend's blue eyes.
Wow. Taking inventory is a useful exercise.
Of course, I will be in Thailand in three months. But it was worthwhile to remember why I am here too.
What's this about you being in Thailand in three months? You know I'm in Bangkok, right????
ReplyDelete